Monday, August 26, 2013

Windows 8 - Product Review

I have been using Windows 8 since the beginning of last week and I thought I would right a product review and answer some of the questions you might have before upgrading. Since this is a product review I will address the positives and negatives and give my overall opinion on the product.

The Good:


  • Very Fast: Windows 8 really starts to utilize the GPU and that leaves the processor open to do other things. We Never really saw this much before because in older computers we did not see a whole lot of GPU's and if we did they were either dedicated and came after market or they just plain were not that good.
  • Lots of hotkeys: If you like me you don't like your hands leaving the keyboard. Once you understand all of the hotkeys windows 8 has to offer it makes the overall experience much better and getting from point a to point b much quicker.
  • The start menu or home screen is very nice and convenient especially if you take advantage of different services offered. I am also fortunate enough to get the full windows 8 experience becasue we all know by now windows 8 was designed for Touch and I happen to be using a touch screen computer. 
  • Amazing Battery Life: I had it playing spotfy for about 4 hours before the first battery life light went off then it still ran for another hour and a half before going into hibernation. I Plugged it in and booted back up in about 9 seconds.
  • Sky Drive: Its nice to have a cloud drive integrated into your OS
  • Very Compatible: Installing printers and other devices has never been easier.

The Bad

  • Micosoft account: To do just about anything on this computer you need a Microsoft account. The benefits to having one account for everything could be great but they really did not take advantage of this feature the way they should have.
  • Learning Curve: I'll admit it took me a minute to figure everything out but once I got it down it wasn't to bad.
  • No start Button: This is pretty self explanatory, although I hear they are putting one in when 8.1 comes out
  • xBox Live and messages: Stop trying to make the computer a phone or a gaming console its a computer.
  • Bing is the default to everything. 
  • You have to pay for media center. But then again if you pay for media center you deserve to loose your money because its pretty much garbage compared to vlc, itunes, spotify, divx, and others.

The Bottom Line

  • Its clean new look leaves lots of room for new technology but leaves people who struggle with change left in the dust.
  • A few very simple fixes could have fixed a lot of the issues I have seen with it. 1 free media center. 2 one account and link everything to that account. 3. Just give up on Bing Microsoft you will never beat Google. Get a start button don't do something one way for 15 years and the all of the sudden change on everyone.
  • Overall I like it and it will take some getting used to but I think it is a decent competitor to windows 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment